Organic Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Stuffing
Cinnamon and sage complement a trio of tart, sweet and savory flavors in this organic apple cranberry stuffing made with focaccia bread.
SERVES: 8 to 10
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 turkey sausage links (8 ounces total), casings removed (optional, see note)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Sage
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper, divided
- 12 cups day-old focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (see note)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Crumble in sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stir in remaining butter, apples, onion, celery, garlic, sage, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7 to 9 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetable mixture with bread, pecans, cranberries and remaining salt and pepper. Stir in eggs until combined. Stir in broth gradually until well-combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in the center and golden on top. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: If you omit the sausage, skip Step 2 and start Step 3 by melting all of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. For a sweeter stuffing, you may use sweetened dried cranberries.
- If desired, to prevent dryness add apple cider or extra chicken stock before baking.