Organic Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna Roll-Ups
Roasted red pepper, goat cheese and a host of organic spices bring robust flavor to lasagna roll-ups.
SERVES: 12 to 15
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- parsley, freshly chopped and Parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish, optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 11-ounce package soft chèvre goat cheese (allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, if possible so it’s easier to work with)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 14 1⁄2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted (see directions for roasting below)
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook noodles for 3 to 4 minutes, just until soft enough to handle and roll. Run the noodles under cold water and lay out on kitchen towels.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and continue to cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg and spices. Add the mushroom and spinach mixture.
For the sauce:
- In a blender, combine all sauce ingredients and pulse for about 60 seconds, until well blended and only slightly chunky.
- Onto the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spoon a few tablespoons of sauce, just enough to add a barrier between the roll-ups and pan.
- Onto each lasagna noodle, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the goat cheese and greens mixture. Roll up the noodles.
- Add the lasagna roll-ups to the pan and top with remaining sauce. Top the sauce with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the roll-ups for 25 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
To roast the pepper:
- On a baking sheet lined with foil, place the bell pepper and roast the whole pepper for 15 to 20 minutes, until the skin has brown spots.
- Flip the pepper onto the other side and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the skin has brown spots.
- Remove the hot pepper from the oven, cover with a bowl and allow to steam to loosen the skin.
- After 10 minutes, remove the pepper from underneath bowl. Seed, peel the black from the skin and cut the pepper into quarters.
- For a smoother sauce, substitute 14 1⁄4-ounce can diced tomatoes for 28-ounce can diced tomatoes.
- To give the cheese on the roll-ups a “crusty” look and flavor, turn on the broiler for the last 1 to 2 minutes of baking.
- To reduce roasting time for the pepper, use a broiler. Be sure to turn the pepper every few minutes and watch it closely so it doesn't burn.