Organic Red Chicken Pozole with Ancho Chile
In Mexico, pozole is a soup often served on Christmas Eve. Treat your holiday guests to a new tradition with this chicken pozole soup featuring hominy and ancho chili powder, garnished with a host of toppings bursting with color and flavor.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Soup:
- 11⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt + more for finishing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Simply Organic® Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 29-ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
For the Toppings:
- 1⁄4 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 red radishes, chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions, diced
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil. Add onion and sauté for 10 minutes, until translucent. Move onions to side of pan. Add chicken and brown on each side for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle ancho powder, cumin, oregano, chili powder and garlic powder over chicken.
- Pour broth over all. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a lively simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and easily pulls apart.
- Add hominy and simmer for another 30 minutes. Check during cooking and add more broth or water, if needed.
- Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro (optional). Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Ladle pozole into bowls and garnish with toppings.