Organic Mini Vegetable Pot Pie with Sage Cornbread
A savory, warmly spiced lentil filling complements a rustic organic sage cornbread topping in this vegetable pot pie.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red potatoes
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup carrots
- 1⁄2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup French lentils
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Sage
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Rosemary
- 3 cups vegetable broth + 1⁄3 cup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 3⁄4 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
For the lentil filling:
- In a stockpot, over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and yellow onion. Sauté 4 to 5 minutes, just until the onion is translucent.
- Add the lentils and spices, stirring into the vegetables. Add broth. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let simmer for 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- If mixture looks dry or the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils and vegetables, add 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth.
For the cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sage, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter and maple syrup.
- Into the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients and combine with a spoon, just until the ingredients are mixed together.
- Into the ramekins, evenly spoon the lentil mixture. On top of the lentil mixture in each ramekin, using an ice cream scooper, spoon about 2 tablespoons cornbread dough. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- For more texture in the filling, do not peel the potatoes.
- Substitute whole wheat flour for the white all-purpose flour, if desired.
- To make the cornbread dairy free, substitute almond or coconut milk for the whole milk.
- To make the dish vegan, substitute an egg replacement like flax egg for the egg.
- Bake dish in a 13x9 pan, if desired.