Organic Ginger and Turmeric Chicken Noodle Soup
recipe by feedfeed
The flavor of the broth in this Ginger and Turmeric Chicken Noodle Soup is rich thanks to a roast in the oven, followed by some time in an electric pressure cooker. The Simply Organic Ginger & Turmeric pair very well with the richness, resulting in a vibrant and comforting soup that is perfect for this time of year!
MAKES: 6 servings
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Broth:
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, skin on, quartered
- 3 carrots, unpeeled, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, skin on
- 2 large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 11⁄2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Black Peppercorns
- 2 Simply Organic® Bay Leaves
- Cold water, as needed
For the Soup:
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, leaves shredded and stems sliced
- 2 cups reserved and shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 box (8 ounces) cooked gemelli pasta, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450˚ F. Combine the Simply Organic Ground Ginger, Simply Organic Ground Turmeric and salt in a small bowl. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken breast and chicken wings to a small roasting pan. Season the chicken and vegetables with the spice mixture and place in the oven to roast for about 1 hour, or until the vegetables and chicken are golden brown.
- Once completely cooled, remove the cooked chicken breast from the bone and reserve the meat and bones separately. Add the reserved bones to the Instant Pot® or Electric Pressure Cooker followed by the chicken wings and vegetables. Add a little water to the hot roasting pan to deglaze the fond from the bottom and add that to the pressure cooker followed by the parsley stems, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Add cold water to the Instant Pot® or Electric Pressure Cooker, filling it to the max fill line. Place the lid on with the vent in the closed or sealing position. Set the Instant Pot® or Electric Pressure Cooker to manual high pressure for 60 minutes. When the cook time is through, let the pressure naturally release for 20 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
- When able, remove lid and discard bones. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer into a large soup pot, pressing down on the solids to extract as much flavor as possible.
- When ready to serve as soup, bring the broth to a simmer and add the carrots, celery and Swiss chard stems. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and Swiss chard leaves and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chard is tender. Season the soup with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley. Serve the soup with pasta, if desired.