Organic Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
A delectable vegan macaroni and cheese that’s every bit as creamy and loaded with flavor, featuring a butternut-squash-based sauce that’s uniquely spiced with hints of nutmeg, cayenne and sage.
MAKES: 8 servings
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Mustard Seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cayenne Pepper (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Turmeric Root
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Sage Leaf
- In a vegetable steamer or pot with a steamer basket, steam butternut squash for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook for about 10 minutes, until softened and caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Into a blender, add squash, onion and garlic mixture, vegetable broth, cashew milk, tamari, garlic powder, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, turmeric and salt, and puree until smooth.
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Add butternut squash sauce to pasta and mix well.
- Add dried sage, stirring to distribute, and serve.