Organic Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Cardamom and Whipped Coconut Cream
This enlightened take on the classic chocolate dessert features silken tofu and coconut cream lending decadent whipped creaminess, with cardamom and pomegranate adding a new dimension of luscious flavor.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the mousse:
- 4 ounces vegan bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cardamom
- Pinch of sea or pink Himalayan salt
- 11⁄2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces), soft silken tofu, drained
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cans (13.5 ounces each) full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 cans (5.4 ounces each) coconut cream, chilled
For the whipped coconut cream:
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Favorite homemade or purchased granola
- Pomegranate arils
- In a double boiler or glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water, combine chocolate, cocoa powder, cardamom and salt, and cook until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Meanwhile, in a high-powered blender or food processor, blend tofu until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and 1⁄2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar and blend until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Gently, without tipping or shaking, open chilled cans of coconut cream and coconut milk. Into the chilled bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, scoop solid cream layer from cans and discard liquid (or reserve for soups and smoothies).
- Whip cream layer for 2 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add remaining 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, and whip for 2 to 3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Gently fold whipped coconut cream into chocolate mixture, one third at a time.
- Scoop mousse into serving cups and chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- For the whipped topping, repeat Steps 3 and 4 with remaining can of coconut milk and 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar.
- Top chilled mousse with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Add granola and pomegranate arils, if desired.
- If you are not strictly vegan and cannot find vegan chocolate, non-vegan chocolate may be substituted with no adjustments needed.
- Nutrition Fact Note: Values do not include the optional granola and pomegranate toppings.