Organic Rustic Apple Pecan Galette
Exchange your traditional apple pie for this rustic apple pecan galette that's simple, yet elegant, and exquisitely satisfying.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Crust:
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting surface
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1⁄4-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
For Finishing the Garnish:
- 1 egg
- Splash of water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture, using your fingers or a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles tiny crumbs. Add cold water and knead ingredients together to form a ball.
- Lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper with flour. Roll out dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, brown sugar and vanilla. Sprinkle in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, then stir to combine.
- Arrange apple mixture in center of dough, leaving a space around outer edges of dough. Fold outer edges of dough one fourth of the way over filling.
- Beat egg and water together. Brush egg wash over crust and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer galette and parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, until apples are soft and the center bubbles. During the last 15 minutes of baking, sprinkle pecans over exposed filling.
- Allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes, then slice and serve.