Organic Gingerbread Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Gingerbread cookies transform into cupcakes in this recipe featuring vanilla cream cheese frosting with a hint of cinnamon.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, warmed to room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon, plus more for garnishing
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins or 24 mini muffin tins.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg.
- Add 1⁄4 cup of the milk to the melted butter mixture plus half of the dry mixture, stirring well. Add remaining dry ingredients and milk until combined.
- Pour batter into muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooking and cooling, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the frosting is just spreadable. Do not add too much milk. If the frosting is warm, cover and place in refrigerator for a few minutes before frosting cupcakes.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe large swirls onto the tops of each cupcake. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon on top of frosting for decoration.