Organic Apple Oatmeal Cookie Cups with Allspice
Put the finishing touch on your meal with these simple oatmeal cookie cups stuffed with an apple filling and spiced with organic spices.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup + 1 tablespoon cane sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Vanilla Extract, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® Sea Salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 medium-size granny smith apples, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup organic cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup cane sugar. Use an electric mixer to cream together until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat for 20 seconds, just until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Mix on low until well combined, then stir in oats.
- In a muffin pan greased with cooking spray, fill each cup with about 3 tablespoons dough using a cookie scoop or spoon. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While the dough refrigerates, make the apple filling. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine apples, water, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then add cornstarch, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Over low heat, cook for about 7 minutes, until apples are soft and sauce is thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using the top of a Simply Organic spice bottle with cap on, press the center of each ball of dough down so the sides rise up to find a cup. Don't worry about making the cups perfect as you will do this again after baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and almost set.
- While the cookie cups bake, make the whipped cream. In a medium-size bowl, combine whipping cream, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, remaining 1 tablespoon cane sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Use an electric mixer, beat until whipped.
- Remove cookie cups from oven and using the bottle with cap on, again press down the center of each cookie cup.
- Let sit for 4 to 5 minutes (not more than that or they may begin to crumble), then use a large spoon to carefully scoop the cups from the pan onto a cooling rack or plate. Let cool completely, then fill each cup with apple filling and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve warm.