Organic Spinach and Artichoke Pull-Apart Bread
A beautiful pull-apart bread wreath rolled around savory goat cheese, spinach and artichoke filling, and topped with organic poppy seeds, garlic and dried herbs.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Bread Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for greasing bowl
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
For the Filling:
- 2 ounces plain goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed, and drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped artichoke hearts, rinsed, if packed in oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
For the Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Poppy Seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Oregano Leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
To Make the Bread Dough:
- In a large bowl, whisk together water and yeast. Let mixture rest for 5 minutes to activate yeast. Whisk in olive oil, sugar, salt and egg. Gradually add the flour, stirring to combine. When mixed and too stiff to stir, shape dough into a ball. Knead dough for 5 minutes, sprinkling with extra flour if needed. Lightly coat bowl with oil and roll dough in oil to coat. Cover with a towel and let dough rise for 2 to 3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough and place on parchment paper dusted with flour. Roll dough into a long rectangle.
To Fill the Bread:
- Scatter filling ingredients evenly down the center of the dough, starting with the cheeses, pepper, spinach and artichoke hearts and finishing with the salt and spices.
- Fold one side of the dough lengthwise over filling, then fold other side over to form a long tube.
- Join the ends of the tube together to create a wreath shape.
- Carefully transfer wreath and parchment paper to a baking sheet.
To Finish the Bread:
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Use kitchen scissors to make even cuts in dough from the outside in, cutting only halfway through, to create individual rolls that can be pulled apart once baked.
- Let dough rest, uncovered, while oven heats.
- Brush top of wreath with beaten egg. In a small bowl, whisk together spices and sprinkle over wreath.
- Reduce oven to 400°. Bake wreath for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown. Rotate sheet pan halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- Allow bread to cool for 20 to 25 minutes, until cool to touch, before serving.
- To serve, cut or pull the individual “rolls” away from the wreath.