Organic Mini Cheese Balls with Cherry Tomatoes
Heirloom cherry tomatoes of varying colors are enveloped in a seasoned blend of cream cheese and goat cheese in this mini cheeseballs recipe. Finish them with a seed, walnut and herb, or pecan and chili pepper topping — or make some with each!
MAKES: 16 mini cheese balls
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Mini Cheeseballs:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 3 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic n' Herb Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 cherry or grape heirloom tomatoes of various colors (approximately 1 pint)
For the Toppings:
- Seed Topping: 2 tablespoons Simply Organic® Black Sesame Seeds and 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Poppy Seeds
- Herb Topping: 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts and 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Dill Weed
- Chili Pepper Topping: 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans and 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ancho Chili Powder
- In a large bowl, using a hand-mixer cream together cream cheese, goat cheese, garlic n’ herb seasoning, salt and Worchester sauce. Chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together topping of choice.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, drop one heaping tablespoonful of chilled cheese mixture onto a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper, creating 16 individual scoops of cheese. Work quickly to avoid bringing cheese to room temperature.
- Fill a glass with cold water. Dip a spoon into the water, then press down cheese portions with back of spoon until they resemble a thick pancake. Dip spoon before pressing each cheese portion.
- Place one tomato on each flattened cheese portion, then fold cheese around tomatoes. With wet hands, shape each cheese ball between your palms until tomato is completely covered and cheese ball is well rounded. Continue to wet hands as needed.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until firm.
- Roll in topping and serve, or refrigerate until ready to serve.