Organic Apple Nachos with Spiced Nut Butter
Experience classic holiday seasonings in a new way with these apple nachos drizzled with spiced nut butter. Simply elegant as a snack, appetizer or dessert, these nachos are vegan, gluten free, and loaded with fruit, nuts, coconut and a hint of chocolate.
MAKES: 6 servings
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Apples:
- 5 to 6 green apples, cored and sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cinnamon
For the Spiced Nut Butter:
- 1⁄3 cup nut butter (almond, cashew or peanut)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil*
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the Toppings:
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and cinnamon, then lay apples flat on a plate or serving tray.
- In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl placed over a pot of barely simmering water, warm nut butter with coconut oil until melted. Mix in cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Using a spoon, drizzle spiced nut butter over apples.
- Wash top pan of double boiler or heat-proof bowl and place again over simmering water. Add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring until melted.
- Drizzle chocolate over apples.
- Top apple nachos with coconut flakes and slivered almonds, and serve.
- *Amount of oil needed may vary depending on nut butter used. Try starting with 1⁄2 teaspoon and adding more as needed.