Organic Five Spice Hot Toddy
Black tea, lemon and bourbon whiskey meet maple simple syrup infused with five-spice powder in this incomparable hot toddy recipe that’s sure to warm the spirit.
MAKES: 1 drink (simple syrup makes enough for multiple drinks)
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Maple Simple Syrup:
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Five Spice Powder
For the Hot Toddy:
- 8 ounces hot brewed black tea
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 2 tablespoons maple simple syrup
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1 slice of lemon (optional)
- 1 Simply Organic® Cinnamon Stick (optional)
To Make the Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine maple syrup, water and five spice powder. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to fully cool as spices infuse syrup, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Strain liquid into a glass jar. Cover tightly with lid to store.
To Make the Hot Toddy:
- Into hot brewed tea, stir bourbon, maple simple syrup and lemon juice.
- Garnish with lemon slice and cinnamon stick.
- Serve warm.